Friday, April 12, 2013

What's cooking....

So I'm working on a new blog.  The new one will be less about adoption (though still about adoption) and more about other things too.  Is that vague enough for you?  Because that's all I've got at the moment.  But I will announce the new blog very soon.

Also, I've been trying to do more writing.  Have I ever told you that I used to be a teacher?  Turns out that wasn't the best fit for me.  Have I ever told you that I am a writer (a mostly for fun, unpublished one, but I've had some small, local things published)?  I've been doing that since the 4th grade.  Maybe I'll share my first hard bound (with old wall paper samples) suspense book, published in my 5th grade Language Arts class when I was 11.  I'm pretty sure it's on its way to becoming a do-it-yourself wallpaper bound classic.  The truth is that I haven't ever really stopped writing since then.  This blog has glimpses of it.  I hope the new one will have more.

There are other things cooking over here, keeping me busy and neglectful of 6807 miles.  The only thing I can offer you on this Friday are some Haiku, written orally first with my husband and seventh grade son, sitting around shooting the breeze the other day.  We were laughing so hard that we were crying.  Some of those Haiku are not shareable.  Others are borderline, so enjoy a sample of 3 of our our Haiku (and please understand we were just having fun with these and they do not represent our literary maturity level):

1.   The popcorn goes pop
      the microwave beeps to stop
      bowl salt butter...gone

2.   I just wrote a poem
      plagiarism doesn't count
      oops, no poem for me

3.   Lois is my dog
      she likes to sleep all day long
      she pooped in the hall

You should try it (the haiku, not the pooping in the hall).  Ask your kids to try it with you.  Have a family contest to see who comes up with the best.  Although there are different interpretations of Haiku and how many sounds/syllables per line, and the topics about which Haiku should be written, to make it easy we used 5-7-5, syllables per line and just had fun.  Go on...try it!

And the fun continues, here is what happens if you get in the way of Miss E's spotlight...

sweet

uh oh

Seriously, look at her face back there....daggers


uh-huh
We have lots of opportunity for growth here at our house.




Oh these two...the best of times and the worst of times.

Happy Friday!


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read the new blog. If it's anything like those Haikus, I'm sure it will be an instant success. E looks so grown-up.

    ReplyDelete